Friday, January 20, 2012

Life on the Ranch 4 "Taking care of the fireplace ashes"

Friday is trash day on the Ranch.  So on Thursday all the trash is hauled to the dumpster at the top of the driveway.  Yesterday I was putting the trash from the house in the dumpster and saw the container with the ashes from the wood stove.  I had cleaned the wood stove  two days ago and the ashes weren't smoking or anything so I took them up and dumped them in the dumpster.  I than grabbed the 4 wheeler and went and got the trash from down by the tack shed.  I also picked up the hose that we replaced as it had way to many holes in it.  I'm driving up to the dumpster and before I come around the trees I see smoke!  I was like OMG what's on fire and than saw it was the dumpster.  I sped up to it and saw the ashes were burning a bag and smoke was coming out all over.  Now you have to understand in the past our neighbors wouldn't have called the Fire Department, but that was 25 years ago.  So I grabbed the hose I had carried up with the holes in it and ran to the house and hooked it up.  I ran out to the dumpster and the hose stopped 20 feet from the fire.  I'm thinking I have to get this out as I didn't want the Fire Department put on notice.  So I ran down to the shop and got more hose and hooked it up.  Finally I was dumping water on the dumpster.  It took about twenty minutes to finally put it out!  Thank heavens no one was home in the neighborhood as the Fire Department didn't come.

No comments:

Post a Comment